Berry Beet Smoothie
09.06.2017 / by Prajwala Darog
Beets are one of my all time favorite root vegetables! They are sweet, slightly bitter, juicy and taste delicious. They have a gorgeous deep red hue and can add a pop of color to any salad or smoothie.
Beets are loaded with phytonutrients that provide anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory support and aid in detoxification. The phytonutrient in beets is called betalain. This nutrient is heat-sensitive which means the more you cook it, the more it will lose its nutritional value. So be sure to have them raw every now and then.
This Berry-Beet smoothie is a perfect power breakfast that is rich in Vitamin C, B Vitamins, protein, fiber, healthy fats and not to mention, it tastes absolutely delicious.
Total time: 5 mins
- 1 quarter of a medium sized raw beets, peeled and grated
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1 ripe banana
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- 1tbsp hemp seeds
- 1tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1tbsp slivered almonds
- 1/4″ piece of turmeric root(optional)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup of Almond milk
- Put the beets and a 1/4 cup of water in a high speed blender and pulse
- Add the rest of the ingredients, water and blend
- Add in the almond milk and blend again, making sure there are no chunks left
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- Adjust the quantity of water/almond milk to get the consistency you like.
- Add some honey if you like it sweeter.